When it comes to your lawn or garden, you need to know about fencing installation tips and how you can maintain a fence. There are various types of fences depending upon the need and requirements such as an aluminum fence, vinyl fence, etc., and every type has a different installation method. Various factors deteriorate fences with time, and they may not perform their proper function thereafter because of weather, time, and other factors that may take a toll on the fence. However, you can fix fences. The drooping, deteriorating, mildew, broken, or dirty fences are useless as they don’t perform their role.
Table of Contents
If the post gets damaged, you need to strengthen it with the help of braces to assist the base of the post. Just, drive the shaft a little deeper in the ground and then attach the brace to the unbroken part of the post. This will reinforce the posts.
The other major problem is when the fence gate starts sagging or deteriorating. This mostly happens with time or some weather conditions that are not tolerated by the material used in the manufacturing of these fences. All you need is to strengthen it with the help of a no-sag kit so that it retains its square shape again.
Fence Getting Mildewed or Dirty
Sometimes, when there is heavy rain or your fence is at a certain location such as a garden or lawn where there are more chances of it getting dirty, you simply need a pressure washer for cleaning it. First, allow it to dry fully and then clean it.
Is It True That Animals Dig Underneath Your Fence?
This is also one of the common things that damage fences. Most of the time, it happens that some animals start digging the fence. What to do if your dog digs below your fence? Well, this is mostly because of the behavioral problems that you must deal with properly. In the meantime, you can better build a physical barrier that will stop them from digging underneath your fence. This will discourage them from digging, and you get a good precautionary measure, this way. You can take the following steps.
- Lay a row consisting of patio pavers. The other alternative option is landscape timbers along the lowermost inside of the fence periphery.
- The next step is you should bury chicken wire or hardware cloth in an L-shaped format that surrounds the base of the fence. This method has another advantage in that it keeps away all the useless animals out of the garden. The only precautionary measure is to have a large or small-sized mesh that is enough to cover the whole area but do not trap or catch your pet’s paws.
Common Methods of Maintaining a Fence
Everything demands maintenance; this will not only increase the shelf-life of that product but also save your money. It would not be wrong to say that the need for repairs gets minimized. The same thing is required to maintain a fence. Regular maintenance by decreasing the chance of sagging or damage can be beneficial. However, there are times where you may need to repair it despite taking these steps.
- You should inspect your fence on a daily basis. It will aid you in rectifying the small errors.
- Mostly, the manufacturers of the product have provided the maintenance tips in the booklet, when you go for a purchase. These instructions are meant to be carefully followed and help remove the common issues.
- You should be cautious enough while using tools such as lawnmowers and trimmers used for stringing purposes near your fence or around the corners.
- The other important consideration is to avoid allowing mulch or mud from pulling up against the underneath portion of fence posts and other panels.
- You should keep certain parts well lubricated. These include latches, hinges, and many other moving parts. Grease or oil serves this purpose well.
Problems with fence posts include rotting, leaning, or loosening. All of these need similar fundamental fixes and repairing techniques. The posts that are a bit loose or leaned can be strengthened. However, with a rotted post, you most probably need to dig out the part on the ground and then replace that part with a new one consisting of concrete. Every type of fence has different maintenance tips. Not all the methods suit every type of fencing. So, depending on this, the repairing strategies change. If the fence fix is extensive, then you may as well replace it.
Bamboo and Wood Fences
Wood has the basic property of contracting and expanding with time. Irrespective of the season, either wet or dry, the fence can sag, deteriorate or damage or splitting may occur. It is suggested to apply sealer or stain, to protect the fence once you install it. All you need to do is follow the provided instructions carefully about the type of wood and how many times you can apply the stain over it.
If there is a need to replace the panels or boards, then you should consider that the new wood will have a different shade and texture than the old one. The only remedy is staining the whole fence.
It is a low maintenance fence compared to alternative options, but, naturally, any fence can get filthy. But regular cleaning keeps it protected. You should replace the cracked parts with new ones.
These are durable and require little maintenance. Repair the periodic scratch by cleaning up the rust and applying paint.
Wire or Electric Fences
Ensure that your electric fence is grounded and that the insulation is not broken. These wires require sufficient tension to be significant.
One should consider pre-installation as well as maintenance tips. You should know every precaution while choosing a fence. The other important thing is to evaluate the slope present in that locality where fencing is required. Hopefully, this sums up the topic well for you.